Métis Family Services is committed to working collaboratively with Métis families and our community to increase their capacity to nurture and care for their children in a cultural and relevant manner.
Métis Family Services is the service delivery agency of the Métis Community organization called "Le Society de les Enfant Michif".
The objective of this agency is in the most inclusive and professional manner possible to:
- Provide direct support and services to Métis families struggling with challenges related to the safety and wellbeing of their children.
- Provide direct support to foster families and adoptive families of Métis children who have been apprehended and placed into care under the Child Family and Community Services Act.
- Provide ongoing personal and culturally based support to Métis children and youth who have become involved in the child welfare system.
- Provide cultural education, celebration and recreational activities to Métis children and their families, including Foster and Adoptive families.
The vision of the Society is:
We see a world in which Métis children (all children) have the right to family ties, culture, love and acceptance.
Métis Family Services works in an inclusive, professional, culturally appropriate and trusting, environment. We strive for honesty openness and quality in everything we do, and treat our staff, clients and community with dignity and respect.
Our Goals and Objectives
- to actively promote the well-being of Métis children and families.
- to create awareness within the public regarding the needs of Métis children while in care.
- to liaise with agencies and organizations with interests similar to those of the Métis Family Services and the Métis Community.
Our Main Interests and Responsibilities:
It has become widely accepted that government administration of child welfare in the province of British Columbia has not adequately addressed the uniqueness or met the needs of the Métis Community. It remains a fact that Métis children continue to be taken into care in disproportionate numbers.
All Métis Family Services programs are aimed to provide an opportunity for our community to discover who they are, where they come from and what their Métis roots are.
In order to provide an alternative and meet the unique needs of the community, Métis Family Services has utilized a cultural case practice based on a holistic and comprehensive approach to a service-delivery model and an ongoing assessment of familial needs designed to emphasize the family strengths while incorporating cultural traditions.
The cultural program is based on community interaction and family history where each individual must be assessed in the context of his or her own experience and identity while using the seven teachings: humility, honesty, truth, wisdom, love, respect and bravery.
Held the first Thursday & third Thursday of the month from 4:00 - 6:00 pm, this evening includes Jigging, crafts, drumming, and a meal.
A holistic approach—employing the concept of the Medicine Wheel—to parenting, which focuses on nurturing personal growth and healing while developing traditional and positive parenting skills.
Specialized support team that assists families with child protection concerns.
Focusing on Métis children in continuing care, this program aims to:
- actively support community and cultural awareness and education.
- assist in obtaining additional support services for children in care.
- provide on-going support for Métis children in transition from foster care.
- actively assist in the development of safe and nurturing foster care home environments which support the child’s heritage and culture.
Visit or call Métis Family Services today to find out more! We are a supportive community, working hand in hand to nurture, protect and promote balance within families. We help children and teens and their parents natural or foster, with excellent programs and services. We welcome all youth and parents in need of support to enter our doors so that we may help. Our office is located in Surrey, BC.